Monday, April 16

My weekend without baseball

My weekend away from Philadelphia was very rough. Not to get into my personal life too much (because I don't think anyone cares and my life isn't that exciting), but I went to Washington DC for a Sorority Formal on Friday and spent the weekend there. And even though the Phillies are off to one of the most deplorable starts in recent history, I couldn't stop texting friends who were at the game on Friday night to find out the score. I was ultimately disappointed but amazed to hear that there were over 130 arrests made Friday night at the stadium for underage drinking. Damn kids...

Saturday, instead of walking around our Nation's Capital and enjoying the sights of DC, I sat in front of my friend's computer and watched the pitch by pitch on the MLB.com Gameday. I must say, for anyone who isn't from the Philadelphia area, it is an excellent tool.

And then Sunday (my birthday), I was suppose to drive up to Philly very early in the morning to make it back to the stadium. The plan was to attend the game with some buddies. Mother nature, however, is a dirty whore and decided to ruin my birthday. I'm buying a Hummer and driving cross country to get back at her for this.

Overall, I thought what I needed was a weekend away from the Phillies, it turns I just can't leave them. I'm like Jared Leto in Requiem For a Dream: I can't leave my addiction no matter how much I know it is messing up my life. I'm so pathetic.

...for anyone who never saw Requiem For a Dream, Leto plays a heroin addict. The Phightins are my heroin. Also, go rent the movie. It is amazing.


Tonight

If Mother Nature decides to stop pms-ing over Philadelphia, I will be going to see our "big offseason move" finally in action against my current least favorite team. Some questions may be answered:
  • Can Freddy still be effective?
  • Will Freddy dominate the NL like we were told?
  • Will Freddy's velocity be back to normal?
  • Can the Phillies put together their first winning streak of the season?
  • Will Ryan Howard stop making us worry?
  • Will Rollins continue his impersonation of Howard?
I hope for a "yes" to all of these, but won't hold my breath.

13 comments:

GM-Carson said...

Welcome back Skeet.

I often stop and think about the level of my loser-ness. I literally think about the Phillies 75% of the day...that's sad. My reading consists of mostly Phillies blogs mixed with some other baseball related news.

Corey said...

hope you and the rest of your sorority had a good time...

GM-Carson said...

B-U-R-N!!!

Skeeter said...

Haha. Good one Corey. Fucking Greek life confuses the shit out of me.

Jacobin said...

Over the weekend, I heard a radio update mentioning who the "pole sitter" was for some car race. It struck me that this sounded woefully homo. So I made a little list of queer sounding sports sayings, with suggested straighter alternatives. Considering that Skeeter keeps putting up homoerotic pics of Reyes and Wright on his site, it seemed appropriate to bring it up on here.

1. Pole sitter - Fastest qualifier
2. He gets up behind those big linemen and hits the hole hard - The runner quickly gets into the lane opened by the linemen
3. He's pounding it middle in - Shut the fuck up Wheels
4. Joe Buck and Troy Aikman - Siegfried and Roy

Anonymous said...

I say drive the Hummer, the extra CO2 might actually warm things up a bit around here!

I think rooting for the Phillies is a worse addiction than heroin. At least with heroin you get a nice high before you come crashing down and start hating life again. The Phillies give us shitty highs and we always seem to be coming out of some terrible withdrawl.

Maybe we should start Phillies Phans Anonymous:

Hi, my name is McD and I have been a Phillies fan for twenty years.

It just might help all of us with the terrible addiction that is being a Phillies fan.

kentucky phils phan said...

glad to have you back...but yeah man being from kentucky gameday is awesome...and for all other fans not from the philly area, the 90 bucks for mlb.tv is pricey, but i strongly suggest getting Gameday Audio it is worth every dollar(it's only 15$ for a season)...i'll be honest, I AM SO HAPPY BECAUSE THE GAME IS ON ESPN tonite and i finally get to watch the phillies...hopefully tonite the fightins pull through with a win, i know i'll be praying for one.

Corey said...

or my favorite sports innuendo: "coach is bringing him out for a blow"

Skeeter said...

jacobin - that is one of the funnier things I have read in awhile. The "shut the fuck up wheels" line made me laugh very loudly. great work.

mcd - I think I may just start one of those support groups...or just make a post about it instead.

kpp - I feel your pain with being away from the Phils. I spent 6 months in Australia in 2005 (half of which was during baseball season) and suffered through it. I did buy the mlb.tv though to get by.

Corey - I think you meant "Carson is coming over for a blow." You fanny-bandits.

GM-Carson said...

listen here dick-munch (aka Skeeter) quit implying that corey and i are gay, we're hetero lifemates bitch!

seriously, our humor is twisted.

Jacobin said...

Thanks Skeeter, I appreciate it. You were abroad in 2005? That's when I lived in Italy for much of the summer. Must have been a good year to get out of the country.

Is hetero-lifemates some sort of BFF thing? ...I guess the difference between the opening of spring training and a gay bar is that at the bar pitchers and catchers are reporting all year round.

icarus236 said...

I like mlb.tv It's pricey but I have a horrible need to watch the Phillies play.

BloodStripes said...

I have MLB.TV also. Its essential when you are this far away. Otherwise its zero baseball coverage. With the Phils sucking so much it makes the 90 bucks seem expensive. I'm gonna have to watch some other teams as well to get a good buzz. The Royals maybe?