Monday, May 7

Sopranos & Entourage

Sunday Night Baseball is okay. I love getting away from Wheeler and Sarge for a day, even though Jon Miller and Joe Morgan are no great replacements. And I love seeing our boys in red getting national coverage, even though the greedy bastards at ESPN only televised last night's game because of Balco Barry. And I do love ESPN's high definition a lot better than Comcast's. But when the Sopranos and Entourage are also shown on Sunday nights, it sends my life into conflict. So I can't talk about last night's win in too much detail, besides the first three innings and the last 2. I will instead bring these two television shows into today's post and compare them to two pitchers.





= Cole Hamels









= Roger Clemens






Let me explain... and if you don't watch these television programs, I apologize.

Cole Hamels is an all out stud. If you read this site or any other Phillies blog out there, you already know the infatuation that we Phillies fans have with him. Example: Cole Hamels Facts. And at only 23 years of age, we can expect greatness for many years to come. Last night's game is an example. Even with a retard playing 3rd base, Hamels was able to overcome some early struggles and gave the Phillies enough pitching to win. There is no ceiling for Hamels' career and even when the Phillies suck, watching him every 5th game will be an event.

And much like Cole, Entourage is amazing. Every episode (like everyone of Cole's starts) is an event and is sure to please. Only in its third season, Entourage will delight fans for years to come...just like Hamels is expected to do. It is a show about 4 best friends doing hot chicks in LA with one of the best characters of all time, Ari, playing as an agent. What's not to like? I find it hard for anyone to say something bad about Entourage, much like you can't say anything bad about Cole. Because if you do, chances are Hamels will kill you.

Then there is Roger Clemens. The man who I hate with an indescribable passion. He is setting one of the absolute worst precedents for baseball players. He is a legend and will undoubtedly make it to Cooperstown, but to pull this "I'm going to wait until midway through the season and PICK what team I want to play for" routine every season makes me violently ill. And to be making 28 million dollars is just an f-ing mockery. And on top of it all, he doesn't even travel with the team during a road trip if he isn't scheduled to pitch. During yesterday's Mariners/Yankees game, he announced to the crowd of New York jackasses that he is coming back to the Bronx. WHAT A FREAKING SLAP IN THE FACE TO THE SEATTLE TEAM!! That was George Steinbrenner's way of saying "Hey Mariners, we can buy our way out of our problems. It's a shame you don't share this luxury." I could rant about this for hours, possibly days. So I'll stop it by showing this picture of Clemens right before he makes man-love with Joe Perry. Look at the frosted colored tips on his gay hair.


And much like Clemens, Sopranos has gotten me in quite a rage recently. This show started out as one of the coolest series HBO has ever shown. But much like Clemens, I have grown to hate it. Now in its final season, Sopranos has been one of the bigger disappointments of 2007. At the end of every episode this season, I get the same feeling of rage deep inside my gut that I did when I heard the news of Clemens returning to the Yankees. Both Roger and Sopranos have started out amazing and are now ending with frustration. Sopranos does, however, usually showcase naked strippers, which is something Clemens can never give me.

11 comments:

GM-Carson said...

Roger Clemens is like a rock star, a pompous, overpaid, egotistical asshole rock star.

Anonymous said...

One of the guys over at Highbrid Nation wrote a very interesting post about Roger Clemems and and the "real" reason he has come back to play for the Yankees. Good Stuff.

Anonymous said...

Come on! People that hate on the Sopranos are annoywing. It's a case of "selected memory". You have such fond memories of the old episodes than nothing can compare. It's like remembering Christmases as a kid. Get over it - the show is as amazing as ever, and you are missing the magic because you want to be a whiny, critical little bitch.

Jacobin said...

Wow, Skeeter, you really touched a nerve there with a Sopranos fan. I'd suggest that it isn't a case of "selective memory," but rather what happens when a bunch of people have some great ideas for a television show (same goes for books and movies too), but reaches a point where they run out of their good ideas and yet still want to stretch many more dollars out of their original good thoughts. The Sopranos jumped the shark a while ago, but who gives a shit?!?! This isn't an HBO television fan site, the really important thing here is discussing how Charlie Manuel is dumber than the talking turd with a peanut in its head on South Park... how Wes Helms' plays like a turd... and so on and so on.

Don't dump hate on Skeeter because he's right about the Sopranos!

Oh yeah, and I agree about Clemens. I've been disgusted with that prick's sanctimonious, asshole behavior for years.

Anonymous said...

I am not as passionate about the Clemens thing as a lot of other people apparently are. I think that having him make that annoucement was kind of cheesy. I honestly do not think even The Rocket can help the Yankees' rotaton this season either.

I do envy the Yankees for having an owner who is 100% committed to winning. Say what you might about Steinbrenner, and believe me I am no fan of his, but at least he wants to win. He is not afraid to spend ridiculous amounts of money if it will lead to another World Championship.

I look at how The Boss does business, and then I look at how Monty and his mysterious junta run the Phillies. The Boss wants to win AND make money, while Monty is just concerned about making money.

Skeeter said...

Wow, I want to be a whiny, critical little bitch? Hmm... well you have merit in the fact that I'm a Phillies fan, so I probably have a tendency to complain.

However, how can you honestly say that these episodes are even half as good as the beginning seasons? You're right, they DON'T compare. I don't want to talk about Sopranos though, since this is a Phillies site. But I'll say this: Season five ended in June of 2004 and this final season (season 6) will end in June of 2007. For making fans wait 3 years for this show to conclude, these episodes are lacking A LOT.
Also, I don't think Sopranos can even touch previous HBO series like "OZ" and, of course, "Real Sex"
.
.
.
.
.
but back to baseball. That article is hilarious evorgleb. Clemens didn't go back to the Yankees because they are "committed to winning." He went back for the 28 million. That is fact.

Skeeter said...

And I agree mcd. As much as I shit on Steinbrenner every single chance I get, I would kill to have an owner like him. And I'm not the biggest Mark Cuban fan, but I would love to have him as an owner as well.

And thanks Jacobin, you said it better than I could. And speaking of South Park, that is possibly the one show in the history of television that gets better and better as each episode airs. Many decline over time.

Anonymous said...

Skeet, it's Muller. I forgot my G-mail password so I can't sign in or post. I need to do something about that.

Anyway, GREAT analogy, although I'm angry about how mainstream "Entourage" has become and it kinda bugs me, and I hate Vince as a character, but oh well. Analogy still works.

And for this anonymous asshole, I'm gonna make this as easy as I can, THE SOPRANOS SUCKS!! I've been watching because I liked the show in the beginning and I want to see what happens to the characters, but the show is terrible anymore. David Chase should be drawn and quartered for his faggoty attempt to milk money out of everyone and keep people who actually like his piece of shit show hanging for three years. What an asshat. Oh, and it's easy to call someone an whiny little bitch when you're anonymous you brave soul, you. You're probably a freakin' Mets fan who has shirtless picture of Jose Reyes scotch taped across his studio apartment and/or parent's basement. And yes, I'm calling you a coward and my name is right here on this blog if you ever wanna come to Philly and find me you fuckin' douche-nozzle. And FUCKING learn to spell. Goddamn, I hate that. "Annoywing?" really? REALLY? You're either Asian or a retard. Learn to spell, get a life, and stop annonymously posting on blogs that diss a show that hasn't been relevant since I was in high-school. Goddamn ass-ramming Uncle Fucker.


PS. OZ was always a superior show to the Sopranos.

PPS. Entourage is in its 4th season.

PPPS. Roger Clemens needs take flying lessons with JFK Jr, because the Rocket is a money-grubbing piece of shit.


PPPPS. I was gonna make a Corey Lidle joke there, but I like him too much. He was a nice guy. Clemens, not so much.



Seacrest, OUT!

Lt. Papi said...

I have watched every episode of Sopranos since the premier in 99. Anyone who says that this season is as good as the others is missing a chromosome. This season is 9 episodes long and now it is half over and nothing has happened. Whoever is responsible for this... pink mist.

Skeeter said...

Wow. I don't even know what to say about Muller's response. I guess I just hope no children were reading that.

And Entourage is technically still in it's third season. The fourth one will start up in June of this year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387199/episodes#season-4

I'm never wrong son.

Jacobin said...

Wow. Muller really has some passion in that response. Just, wow.