Friday, May 4

I Hate the West Coast

Stupid California with its stupid different time zone making this stupid team play late into the night. I hate it when games start at 10 o'clock. Some people have to go to bed early you know! It is currently 1:15 in the morning as I am writing this and I can't take much more. The game started off great. Runners were being driven in with left and right by Phillies hitters and Adam "Gavin Floyd" Eaton was pitching well. Something was fishy.

Good starting pitching from a bad pitcher + runners not being left on base = a twilight zone...or as I call it, a "philight zone"


Then sure enough, Eaton starts sucking and we must go to our bullpen too early AGAIN! At the time of this post, it is 9-7 Phillies. Can these bastards hold onto a game where they once led 9-2?

If I wake up and read something like "Phillies bats come alive but pitching falters" on Phillies.com, I'm breaking a lamp.
.
.
.
.
.
.
and sorry for saying philight zone...I thought it was clever.

also, reread this

9 comments:

Skeeter said...

...and I for some reason just woke up as the bottom of the 9th inning was starting. And I got to witness Myers get his first save.

Wooooooo

GM-Carson said...

I was going to go with Adamn Eaton for his nickname, because he isn't worth "a damn" thing, but Gavin Eaton works better.

Anonymous said...

The late night west coast games do indeed suck. I think the US should follow China's lead and have the entire country on the same time zone, (ie Eastern Time). It was a pleasant surprise to wake up this morning and hear the Phils held on for the win. They seem to have great success against the NL West teams. Too bad Philly isn't in sunny California.

Mike said...

8.18 ERA, 1.73 WHIP.
"Gavin" Eaton is perfect.

Jacobin said...

Here are some other great Phillies pitchers over the last decade that Adam Eaton can be compared to:

Scott Mathieson in 2006 (1-4, 7.47 ERA)
Gavin Floyd in 2006 (4-3, 7.29 ERA)
Gavin Floyd in 2005 (1-2, 10.04 ERA)
Paul Abbot in 2004 (1-6, 6.24 ERA)
Jose Mesa* in 2003 (5-7, 6.62 ERA)
Brandon Duckworth in 2002 (8-9, 5.41 ERA)
Amaury Telemaco in 2001 (5-5, 5.54 ERA)
Bruce Chen in 2001 (4-5, 5.00 ERA)
Paul Byrd in 2000 (2-9, 6.51 ERA)
Andy Ashby in 2000 (4-7, 5.68 ERA)
Chad Ogea in 1999 (6-12, 5.63 ERA)
Mike Grace in 1999 (1-4, 7.69 ERA)
Carlton Loewer in 1998 (7-8, 6.09 ERA)
Garrett Stephenson in 1998 (0-2, 9.00 ERA)
Calvin Maduro in 1997 (3-7, 7.23 ERA)
Bobby Munoz in 1997 (1-5, 8.91 ERA)

*No starters had an ERA over 5 in 2003, but our closer sucked beyond belief... Jose Gordon? Tom Mesa!?

Anyway, I could have gone back to 1957 or 1907 and it probably would show that nearly every year this team has at least one giant piece of shit in the starting rotation (or two that have enough starts to represent a single starter).

Skeeter said...

Jacobin, thank you very much for that list and the research.

So I guess it shows we shouldn't be mad or surprised by Eaton. As Phillies fans, I guess we should grow to accept at least one fuck-up in the rotation

Anonymous said...

Excellent list Jacobin! There were some names on there I had forgotten all about like Mike Grace and Carlton Loewer. I think my subconcious may have repressed their memories for a reason.

Jacobin said...

No problem! Putting that little list together was a trip down memory lane... not a good trip, but a trip nonetheless.

I guess the main warning to take out of it is that you should expect them to replace Eaton shit with another piece of shit.

Anonymous said...

Chase Utley? More like Chase Fugly!

Your 2007 World Series Champs