Thursday, February 15

2007 MLB Preview Review - Part 2: Street & Smith's

After being depressed with what Lindy's projected for the Phillies this season, I was determined to find a magazine that agreed with my opinion on this team. Well, I found it today at a sleazy qwiki-mart named "Voorhees Tobacco and News" in the form of Street and Smith's Baseball. Let me give you the rundown of what they think.

American League

East: Red Sox
Central: Tigers
West: Angels
Wild Card: Yankees
MVP: Guerrero
Cy Young: Santana
Manager of the Year: Scioscia
Rookie of the Year: Matsuzaka

National League
East: PHILLIES
Central: Cardinals
West: Dodgers
Wild Card: Mets
MVP: Pujols
Cy Young: Zambrano
Manager of the Year: MANUEL...???
Rookie of the Year: Tulowitzki

First thing, awesome prediction on their part of the NL East. The Phillies finally get some recognition. Second thing, manager of the year should not equal Charlie Manuel. The only thing Manuel and the word manager should have in common is the first 3 letters of their names. See: MANuel and MANager. I'm so clever

Other notes on this issue that should interest Phans...
  • The prelude to the NL East basically talks all about how the Phillies have improved and the other teams haven't. They praise Pat Gillick
  • The prelude also has a full page pic of my boy...Pat the Bat
  • Division's Best Sense of Humor: Charlie Manuel. I guess they meant to laugh at and not laugh with
  • Division's Best Intellect: Jamie Moyer. Brought here to mentor the young boys into full-blown badasses
  • Phillies defense was rated a 2 out of 5. A bit low, in my opinion
  • A rival scout sized up Howard and says he doesn't get enough credit for his defense. He also said it seems nearly impossible to get him out. His suggestion was to throw him high heat, but he wouldn't be surprised if he hits them out too. Basically, Howard is a god.
  • The Phillies were the only team in the NL East with a 'stock report' going up. All of the other teams were rated as steady.
  • Interesting stat: Garcia is 19-6 with a 2.34 ERA in his career against the NL. Over the past two seasons he is 7-0.
  • .....I smell a pennant

Overall, I suggest you pick this edition up. Street and Smith's has good fantasy rankings and a superb overview of every team. It is usually my February magazine of choice. I often say I don't like projections or predictions, but these I can definitely live with.

Also, if you can think of a good one, be sure to write a caption for the Manuel picture in the post below

7 comments:

furiousBall said...

You know, if the Phils do win the East and Burrell comes back to form - Charlie ...jesus, am I really going to say this...should win manager of the year.

Old Fat Ted said...

It's a tradition for my mom to pick out a magazine for me every february so I'm going to wait and see what she gets just for the surprise. I think I'm going to stick to online sites this year anyway.

GM-Carson said...

Charlie Fuqua Manuel as manager of the year...are you fucking kidding me? I guess if him being name m.o.t.y. is at the cost of the Phils winning the NL East, I'm cool with it.

I expect many good things from Freddy. I expect an ERA around 3.90 with a 1.25 and possibly, gasp, 20 wins because of killer offensive support.

BloodStripes said...

Street and Smiths is the only available season preview magazine I can get my hands on here in OZ aside from my Baseball Digest subscription. So I always look forward to it arriving at my local newsagent. It hasn't arrived yet but we always get the northeast USA cover version. So if I score the Broad street basher cover I will be very pleased. Nice to see the Phils are rated highly. Hopefully they will live up to the prediction and we are celebrating long into 2008.

Go Phillies!!!!!

GM-Carson said...

Bloodstripes- move to America already!

BloodStripes said...

I would love to move to America but I don't think America would have me. Anyway I think I would miss OZ too much.

Skeeter said...

yea, I had a tough time leaving OZ too