Sunday, February 11

2007 MLB Preview Review - Part 1: Lindy's

It is February and aside from the massive blizzard we MAY get this week, all we have to look forward to is Spring Training. And with the baseball lifestyle just about to get under way, the preview magazines are coming into publication. I briefly went browsing around a supermarket today and picked up the only one Genuardi's had: Lindy's. And like a lot of things I read, I disagreed with their predictions. Here is my rant on Lindy's Baseball preview. (keep in mind that I am a die-hard Phillies fan and may be viewed as a biased individual)

Lindy's Fearless Forecasts for 2007

Manager of the Year
AL - Torre
NL - Piniella

MVPs
AL - Ortiz
NL - Reyes (Grrrrrr)

ROY
AL - Delmon Young, Devil Rays (Big shock)
NL - Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies

Cy Young
AL - Halladay ( I can NEVER bet against Sanatana)
NL - Zambrano

Rookie Pitcher of the Year
AL - Matsuzaka (Another Shocker)
NL - Pelfrey (Another Grrrrrr)

Division Winners
AL East - Yankees
AL Central - Tigers
AL West - Angels

NL East - Mets (AHHHHHH)
NL Central - Cubs
NL West - Dodgers

Wild Cards
AL - Red Sox
NL - Padres (AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!)

AL Champion - Yankees
NL Champion - Dodgers

World Series Champion - Yankees (Vomit, Barf, Puke, Disgust...)


Well, our boys in red aren't on this list at all. So where did they finish? 3rd in the division. Behind the Mets and Bravos. Obviously I horribly disagree with this and was slightly angered by it. But this does raise a good point. The Braves are still a very dangerous threat to us in the division. Maybe I am the only one who was completely focused on the Mets and sort of over looked Atlanta. I still don't think this gives our boys enough credit. I wasn't expecting them to print a first place finish but I would have liked at least a second place one.

Interesting notes on the Phillies pages:
- Matt Smith was listed as our top prospect (uhmm....)
- Burrell's 2007 line: .266/26/92 (gross, look to the right for the truth)
- Our infield was rated a 7.0 which is "Well Above Average"
- Rotation was rated a 6.0 which is "Above Average"
- 54 Homeruns for Rhyno
- .307 AVG for Victorino

Other notes from around the Majors
- They have Cleveland finishing 4th in the division. I picture them a lot higher.
- I have to say that the wild card winner from the NL has to come out of the East. If we are slated to be third behind the Mets and Braves, who is going to win more games than us and Atlanta? The Padres? They got pitching but I can't vision them finishing better than the Phils or Braves.
- There is a nice article on Howard and how much of a stud he is.

Overall, these magazines are just ways for me to waste my time, but like Carson has often ranted about, games are won on the field and prediction nuts and statheads are jackasses. I am going to eventually pick all the 2007 editions up and rant about them on here. Then, my prediction post will follow. Guess who will be on top of the NL east?

3 comments:

furiousBall said...

While I don't disagree with the Mets placement, I think we have a better team offensively and pitching-wise than the Braves. Also I think San Diego's pitching will win the West.

GM-Carson said...

projections blow donkey dick!

Unknown said...

Those might be the worst projections I've ever seen. I'll spare you the detail of mine, but needless to say, the Phillies will make the playoffs this season.