Saturday, December 9

A Place I Have Never Been

Why didn't the Phillies make the postseason in 2006? Well, the obvious (and smartass) answer would be the Dodgers won more games. But why did the Phillies only get to 85 wins, when it seemed at the end of the year that they were a team capable of over 90? You could argue clutch hitting was our problem, a shot bullpen in August, or an incompetent manager. And all of these did inhibit our team's winning potential, however, we must not forget the 40 games started by: Scott Mathieson, Gavin Floyd, Ryan Madson, Adam Bernero, Aaron Fultz and Eude Brito. Did you ever once say "OH YES, [insert one of those dillweeds here] is pitching today! We gotta win." If you did then I am envious of your optimism...but still think you are probably mentally challenged.

So, if I am correct, these pitchers were the biggest inhibitors to our team's playoff chances. Why did we have to put up with them? For what reason were we forced to see our bullpen pitch in the 4th inning? A horrible 2005 offseason. We started spring training only sure of THREE starters in our rotation and entered April with a player who never started a major league game and a very shaky prospect. They never took off so it left us with 2 holes. Thankfully the king (not asswipe eskin) stepped in and took care of one slot, but we had to wait until Wolf came back in July to fill the other position. Never having a stable rotation ruined us in 2006. Why am I telling you something you already know? Because our 2007 outlook is drastically different.

Its not even Christmas and we have a set rotation. In fact, we have too many pitchers...how about that? We have to get rid of one of our starters. When was the last time you felt like this as a Phan: "Oh shit...we have to many pitchers who can help us. I guess we have to rid our lives of one to improve our team." Basically the job of a GM in the offseason is to fill the holes of the previous season. Our biggest hole: an incomplete rotation. That hole has been filled up like Paris Hilton. Our offense is practically the same...except we are upraded at 3rd base and I guess right field...if Shane is there. Our bullpen hasn't improved but like I said..."Merry Christmas" hasn't even been said yet.

So here I am with a feeling I have never felt before. Sitting here looking at our 2007 team and seeing that our starting rotation isn't just complete...but strong. It is a strange, sexy feeling that I wish I felt more often. I sort of feel like I'm taking crazy pills.




Also...I was going to post another Carmen pic. Bloodstripes sent me one via email but it wasn't PG-13. That dirty Aussie sent me a picture with exposed TnA!!!!!! How nasty those blokes down under are!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I liiiike...

8 comments:

Skeeter said...

another eskin bash...count it!

Anonymous said...

booo no carmen pic

BloodStripes said...

Do nude pics get censored mate? Not to worry, you've done well anyway. Paris Hilton bangs like a dunny door in the wind!

40 starts from those dillweeds. I didn't realize it was so many. That just makes me even more optimistic about '07. 'Cause it sure is a good feeling knowing the rotation is set and already more solid than most of last season. With plenty of time left to get those couple of bullpen pitchers we need. A very good phillies team is taking shape.

Things are so blissful that I keep forgetting about our 3B upgrade. Hells Helms. I hope he comes up big.

Great post. Even better to see some optimistic Phils Phans.

GM-Carson said...

we don't do nude pics, gotta have some level of decency, even if that level is low.

i love our rotation for next season. it's an upgrade all around. hamels is likely to progress, myers might slightly improve, garcia is better than the others we ran out there, eaton is at least as good as wolf, and moyer is my dad so i gotta love him.

BloodStripes said...

Yeah fair enough. Its always good to leave something to the imagination anyway. I just get carried away too easily. Time for me to settle down a bit.

BloodStripes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
BloodStripes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GM-Carson said...

oh no need to settle down, as i'm all for pics of naked ladies. just can't post them on the blog, gotta leave something to the imagination. but via email is always fine.