Wednesday, May 9

A very random assortment of Phillies thoughts

Two interesting tidbits (all prior to last nights game)
  • Of the 14 games the Phillies have won this season, the offense had to score 6 or more runs 11 times to win. They scored 5 runs once and 4 runs twice. So basically, on average, the Phillies need to score over 5 runs to win a game.
  • The Phillies are averaging .9 homeruns a game. They have hit only 29 in 32 games. Imagine this number if you take away Rollins nine inexplainable homers in April.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yours truly is a staunch believer that a lineup greatly affects the outcome of a game. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain Manuel's lineup.

Rowand
Victorino
Rollins
Utley
Burrell
Dobbs
Nunez
Ruiz

The top five I'm decently satisfied with. I'd much rather see Victorino leadoff than Rowand. But why is Dobbs (a .188 hitter) batting 6th and Nunez (a .125 hitter vs righties) batting 7th...both ahead of Ruiz (a .293 hitter)? Maybe I'm just nitpicking every move Manuel makes, but I honestly can't recall a manager in recent history to make me shake my head this much.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I google-image searched Abraham Nunez and for some reason this picture of Angelina Jolie popped up:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chase Utley is such a man and loves women so much, that after he noticed the jacuzzi at Chase Field was full of bikini-clad women, he hit a homerun to them. These girls then all fought each other to the death to see who was truly worthy to hold Utley's balls.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really don't like Baxter the Bobcat, the Diamondbacks mascot. He just seems evil. I bet the Phanatic would kick the shit out of him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever seen Conan O'brien's If They Mated? It's where they take two celebrities and guess what there children would look like. An example of Derek Jeter and Anna Kournikova:

=

Well, my super computer has this technology and I mixed our past GMs. So what if Ed Wade and Pat Gillick mated:

=

I was going to post a picture of an ugly monkey or a donkey, but I felt that with how much these two have tortured us the past decade, they must have some connection with the devil himself.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
14-19 Someone tell me again why we are Phillies fans?

8 comments:

GM-Carson said...

You ask- Why are we Phillies fans?

My answer- I have no fucking clue.

BloodStripes said...

Because we are bloody stupid!

What the ......? Fuqua sucks. He is completely shithouse.

JeterKorn is wrong. Blah!!!

Anyway..... funny post. Thanks for laughs Skeeter.

Anonymous said...

We are Phillies fans because we enjoy rooting for a team that breaks our heart every year and is run by a bunch of money grubbing bastards.

And I thought the result of putting Ed Wade and Pat Gillick together would be Ruben Amaro, Jr!

Jacobin said...

I'm a Phillies fan because one of my youngest baseball memories was the 1980 World Series (I was either 5, or had just turned 6 -- I've always wanted to go to a Phillies game on my birthday, which is in late October).

I'm a Phillies fan because I'm from Southeastern Pennsylvania, and this is our team (you stand up for your hometown team!).

I'm a Phillies fan because I'm apparently a sports masochist, not to mention I'm insane (I keep expecting something different to happen from the same old shitty organization).

Skeeter said...

DAMNIT MCD!!!! I wasn't thinking...shit!

And yea, the reason I'm a Phillies fan (and you all too) is because even though every loss kills you inside, every win is that much better. And you're right Jacobin, they are our hometown team and its what we do.

Mike said...

Maybe Ruiz bats 8th so the lineup doesn't go Dobbs, Nunez, Pitcher?
He's trying to break up the crap at the bottom of the lineup?

That Bobcat is one scary ass mofo.

Jacobin said...

At least we stomped the snakes in one game! Looking at the Diamondbacks uniforms these past three games, I asked myself why they decided to start dressing like the Washington Nationals. A little bit of research turned up this gem from MLB.com:

[T]he club received feedback from various media outlets that the color purple is a difficult one to match up when it comes to graphics, logos and photos with the purple coming out looking either blue or black. Purple also was a challenging color to match up from a merchandising standpoint.

So, purple looks bad on the ingame graphics, not to mention they weren't selling enough stuff. How far does the merchandising thing go? Well, according to the Diamondback's web site, the team has two game hats this year and four different uniforms they can choose to wear (or more accurately, that their fans can choose to buy).

Meanwhile, the Minnesota Vikings don't seem to have been having much trouble with their purple merchandising over the years...

Skeeter said...

it is very perplexing. I'm still trying to get used to the new ones, but I honestly did not like the purple unis. But then again I don't really care about the style of a baseball team so it really didn't bother me that much.