Wednesday, April 11

Never Forget What You Love

The off-day, while it was nice to give me time away from the heartache, just reminded me how much I actually love baseball. The Phillies suck and have caused me to almost have a heart attack 6 times in the past week, but a day without a baseball team to care for has done wonders for me. I say this because last night I went to the Sixers game. My boss at WIP gave me courtside seats and while the Sixers won, it was NOTHING compared to a Phillies game. Maybe it was because the Sixers aren't going anywhere and maybe it is because I was partially intoxicated the whole time, but watching our basketball team win a game was nothing compared to watching our baseball team. Even if I was courtside, I'd rather sit in the nosebleed section at Citizens Bank Park. For Christ's sake, it is our national pastime. This game is in our blood.

So besides Pat Burrell, Cole Hamels and Jamie Moyer, there is nothing good to write about concerning the Phillies. But has a bad baseball team ever stopped us before? And is this a bad baseball team? Right now...hell yes. But in the long run, will this team really tie with the Nationals for the worst team in baseball? Both you and I know the answer to that.

So stop crying and act like a man...
  • Ryan Howard stepping to the plate still gives you the chills
  • Watching Hamels gives you hope for the future
  • Utley is still your favorite player
  • Victorino's play in right field still makes you yell from your couch at home
  • Rollins is still your general

This is time of the year we have been patiently waiting for since October 2, 2006. A slow start after just 7 games isn't going to knock you off the bandwagon this quickly, is it? I could write a 2,000 word essay on how I feel the Phillies team should be fixed and on who I think the blame should be placed upon. Those issues can be debated more than the moon landing. But at the end of the day, this team is still your passion.

Basically, decide for yourself who is at fault in this organization. But don't ever give up on this team...no matter how many times it seems they have given up on you.

14 comments:

GM-Carson said...

Yesterday you brought me to tears with the cruel reality of another shitty start to the season. Today you bring me tears of joy...I love the Phillies and I love baseball, it's undeniable.

Anonymous said...

Excellent piece. The Phillies have been a shitty team to root for over the years, but they are OUR shitty team damnit!

Go Phils!

kentucky phils phan said...

great post man...ur rite, we all love the phillies and no bad start to the season will keep that from being true, and yes chase utley is still my favorite player. i wasn't even alive when mike shmidt retired but i kinda think chase mite be this generations version of him.

Skeeter said...

Chase will most likely go down as my favorite Phillie ever. And he has only played one full season.

I wrote this all up because I realized how angry and depressed I was getting after only 7 games. I need to save this aggression for September.

Jacobin said...

Of course we love the Phillies. We wouldn't be sick to our stomachs from how they've been playing if we didn't care. I have two autographed baseballs in my house -- one by Mike Schmidt and the other by Steve Carlton ("HoF"). When I was living abroad, the first thing I would do each morning was hit the internet cafe to see if they won (waiting for baseball scores on CNN World is annoying and often futile). I don't think any of us would trade the Phillies for another baseball team... it just seems like we're due for them to do something other than tear our hearts out. I mean, aren't they good for the post season every 15 years or so?

Anonymous said...

We are way past due on having a baseball team in the postseason!

Skeeter said...

We are INCREDIBLY overdue. Every 15 years isn't a lot to ask.

I was abroad also, for 6 months in Australia in 2005. Since the time was backwards down there, I had to watch some games at 3 in the morning on mlb.tv. It was tough being away from the Phillies for so long

klkatz said...

still plenty of baseball to play...I've still faith.

klkatz said...

and another thing to Kentucky Phils phan... Utley is good, but please do not compare him to Schmidt. Not yet...

Schmidt was on the all century team. He would arguably be part of the All Century Starting team at 3b.

hold off on the schmidt comparisons...

kentucky phils phan said...

sorry about the comparisons i'm sure yall r right about it...schmidt is great for sure and no one can touch him

Skeeter said...

I was too young to ever appreciate Schmidt. He is indeed the greatest 3rd baseman of all time. I'm hoping Utley reaches half the plateau that Michael Jack did.

I still say Chase will go down as my favorite ballplayer ever.

kentucky phils phan said...

yea i agree with u skeeter...also i just wanted to thank u and carson and the other guys that do these blogs...being from out of town i don't get the benefit of going to phillies games or seeing them on tv...or hearing ab them on radio...these blogs keep me informed on the going-ons and also give me ppl to talk phillies baseball with...it is so greatly appreciated.

Mike said...

The Phils will be in 1st place by the time this winning steak ends!

My favorite Phillies: Mike Schmidt, Steve Carlton, and Chris James.

Lt. Papi said...

Where you at? COURTSIDE!