Monday, March 5

Philadelphia would win in a spelling contest

There is so much to talk about in regards to the Phillies. I could speak on Hamels and his workout routine or Lieber pitching good against the Reds. Dobbs is the hot story thus far and Victorino is hitting the cover off the ball. I could talk about how much Burrell means to the Phillies or how Davy Lopes is helping out Vic and Rollins. Then there is always the bullpen debacle that needs to be sorted out and the always interesting trade rumors that circulate everyday. Well, I personally think a lot of the sites listed to the right are doing a great job at discussing this all so I will try to broach a new subject. It is something that I loathe with every essence of my innner-being. Fans (I will not call them PHans) chanting "E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES" at Phillies games.

It won't be long before the games start up again at Citizens Bank Park and we as true PHans have to endure this moronic football chant at a baseball game. The chant alone is fine...after the Eagles fight song plays...at an EAGLES game. Sure, go ahead. Spell out the team name all you want. But at a Phillies game is just plain ridiculous. You wouldn't go to a Spielberg movie and chant "S-C-O-R-S-E-S-E SCORSESE" if you didn't like the ending, would you? You don't go to Burger King and chant "W-E-N-D-Y-S WENDYS" if your whopper is over-cooked, do you? Then why on Earth do some people insist on chanting "E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES" at a Phillies game when the Phillies start to lose? All that shows me is that those fans only enjoy a team when they are winning and not at any other time. Bandwagon is the exact definition of them. They chant EAGLES because the Birds have been the best team in the city over the past few years. And when the Phillies don't play so well, these idiots start to root for a winning team that ISN'T EVEN IN SEASON!!!!

Look, I like the Eagles. I am not nearly as psycho about them as most people in this town are, but I root for them every sunday they play and get upset when they constantly loose in the playoffs. But just because I am an Eagles fan, does not warrant me to chant them at a Phillies game. Same as how I like Wendys AND Burger King. And while Scorsese is way better than Spielberg, I enjoy Steven's films as well. Fans may be able to come up with good reasoning for booing certain players, but no one can come up with a legitimate reason why it O.K. to root for the Eagles when the Phillies aren't playing up to expectations.

I have a confession to make. When I was young, dumb and still in high school, I used to think it was cool to chant EAGLES in parking lots while tailgating for concerts. I saw that a lot of people joined in and it seemed like a fun thing to do. I have grown now and seen the error of my ways. Sure it may have seemed cool at the time...but so did this:



I know we shouldn't be so concerned with player's feelings. They make millions of dollars to play a kid's game and we shouldn't have to cater to their emotions. But does anyone honestly think that chanting for another team in this city makes our players really want to win a game if the other team just took the lead? No...we should always root for our team, but at the right stadium.




So please, if you see this man this summer at Citizens Bank Park, join me in kicking his ass.









I was also looking through the Phillies mailbag last night and came across three VERY dumb questions. I just thought I'd share them with you:

What will the Phillies' record be and where will they finish in the National League standings? Will they win the division, Wild Card or miss out on the postseason?
-- Drew P., Boothwyn, Pa.

Like anyone knows the answer to this. What kind of response was Drew looking for? By the way: 93 wins

Why didn't the Phillies sign Ryan Howard to a multiyear deal? Should we expect him to be playing somewhere else after this season? I'm really worried.
-- Barry L., Harrisburg, Pa.

Barry, aside from being dumb, is probably a pussy. "I'm really worried"...quit crying

Whatever became of Randy Wolf?
-- Bill M., New Orleans, La.


If you have access to the internet, why waste your time and energy writing Ken Mandel this question? Google the words "Randy Wolf" jackass

7 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I fucking hate the Eagles chant at a Phils game. I would love to punch some jack-off squarely in the mouth for spewing such ridiculous things from it. Shut the fuck up, or cheer for the actual team that is playing for fuck sake!!!

Shit, now I'm all pissy and tense.

By the way, Vanilla Ice is still COOL!

Corey said...

people like barry from harrisburg piss me off. he obviously knows nothing about the phillies and how contracts work, yet he'll fire up his email machine and waste everyone's time asking the phillies website stupid questions. and being worried? what a fag. i bet he has his own phillies blog...

yeah, i......E-A-G-L-E-S.....oh shit, i just had an eagles-chant-typing-seizure...hope i didn't piss anybody off...

GM-Carson said...

Corey, I'm kicking your ass next time we meet up.

furiousBall said...

Oh wow, see I totally screwed up, I went to a Burger King and was chanting "S-C-O-R-S-E-S-E SCORSESE"...I was like totally up in the fry guy's face, that cash register girl looked scared too (and I think her herpes will be heading back into remission soon too)...maybe that was perplexment rather than intimidation I was sensing.

Skeeter said...

Vanilla is not still cool...although I do have his rock debut 'hard to swallow.' Quite brilliant.

I do love when people start booing the eagles chanters...makes me feel all tingly inside

And furiousball...stop torturing little BK employees

klkatz said...

I think it's all in good fun. Do we not see the humor in letting our previous summer bums how much we think of them by looking forward to mini camp?

i never join in.. but it doesn't bother me...

what does bother me is when stupid fans start the wave in the 7th inning of a close game. it usually happens at a give-away night when all the fairweather fans are around. Take your Chris Wheeler Bobble Head and go home!!! Don't get in my way when standing up to participate in a stupid tradition that leaves you watching other people stand up and sit down as opposed to the game you paid your hard earned dollar to watch.

Skeeter said...

haha...yea the wave sucks. And even worse in a close game