Monday, February 19

The X Factor

It is still over a month away from opening day. Spring training games haven't even started yet. Actually, position players aren't even required to be in Clearwater until tomorrow...but I got that itch and I know you do too. So this may be a premature topic but who is the Phillies X-Factor this season? I have come up with a few opinions on who could be a key determinant to playoff possibilities in 2007. We will call these guys the X-Men...

  • Antonio Alfonseca, This is a no brainer to me. If this six-fingered freak of nature can return to 2004 form, I believe a good amount of our bullpen woes are covered. An outstanding year from him means reliable set-up work, which is something we haven't seen in quite sometime.
  • Health, mainly of Tom Gordon and Adam Eaton. If their health remains in check, I believe their performance will as well. Also, with these two remaining on the team in their assigned positions, it keeps the rest of the team in order. If Eaton were to get hurt, we would need call up someone from the minors who isn't quite ready or bring in (gasp) Madson from the bullpen. If Gordon breaks down, the bullpen breaks down.
  • Jayson Werth, It is odd to call a 4th outfielder an X-factor, however, many actions may happen that call upon him to perform at a higher level. Rowand may be traded. Burrell, although it is a VERY long shot, may get traded thus killing my spirits. And it is possible that Victorino may not be able to perform over a full season. Anyone of these may have Werth playing in a more prominent role.
  • Fundamentals, This isn't a player but the fundamental play of the Phillies was downright embarrassing at times last season. And not only did it make me hang my head in shame, it easily cost us a few games. I have read that the coaching staff is stressing this in Spring Training, which is a very encouraging thing to hear.
  • Manuel's managerial abilities, Do I have to explain this one?

There are more, I'm sure, but this is what I could think of for now. As the season approaches, I will post more X-Factors that will be key to NL East DOMINATION!


The "Nation of Domination" AKA 2007 Phillies

10 comments:

Muller said...

Yay, Comic Books at DtDC!!!
Although, you should know that you could have used a picture from the other Mutant Super-Hero Team "X-Factor" feature Cycolps' brother Alex Summers, aka, Havok. Yeah, I'm a geek, I know.

That said, in the Nation of Domination Burrell is Farooq and Ryan Howard is the Rock, cuz I smell what he's cookin'.

furiousBall said...

I'm most concerned about two things you mentioned Alfonseca and Eaton. I'll do my best to reserve judgement until they actually pitch. But my gut is saying 2007 Alfonseca = 2006 Rhodes

Skeeter said...

I hope you are horribly wrong

Old Fat Ted said...

A great Alfonseca would be a great relief.

GM-Carson said...

Dudes- Freddy Garcia looks like the Rock...hello?!

And why not Degeneration X photo too...c'mon now.

You know I just like messing with you guys, you are my bastard offspring afterall.

Anonymous said...

Phillies SUCK!!... Let's Go Mets!!

Anonymous said...

you wont admit it but burrell is a huge x factor.

Skeeter said...

Campbell, you are a gutless cunt. Someone comments on a Phillies site saying the Phils suck and the mets are good and you leave a reply by saying "Burrell is an x factor!!!"

I am ashamed of you

Anonymous said...

thats what these comments are suppose to be about arent they. why dont you get your page under control here. mets suck and are gay

Muller said...

I'll be honest. I don't much care for the Mets.