Tuesday, May 15

The Phillies beat 24

...Not in ratings or anything monitored by the Nielson Media Research. Rather the Phillies beat 24 in my heart, which I think is more important. With the Phillies trailing the best team in the National League 6-2, I thought it would be safe to watch 24 and witness Jack Bauer kick some ass. Since I'm a loyal phan, I kept the game on in the bottom right hand corner using the crafty PIP feature. But halfway through the 8th inning, there was no reason for me to keep watching 24. The Phillies, in one inning, gave me and a crowd of over 29,000 fans more excitement than 24 has all season. It was the best win of the season and is the kind of game where winning streaks are born. If you missed, I feel bad for you. Interesting sidenote though, both teams combined for 24 hits...ironic, don't ya think.


And upon watching Brett Myers record the final out of the game for his fourth save in as many chances, I have this to say: If Tom Gordon returns from the DL and is still considered the closer of this team, I will lead a brigade into Charlie Manuel's office and take him out. I know Corey and Carson will be with me and I can probably guarantee that mcd and jacobin will be there. If Bloodstripes can make it from Australia, he is welcome as well. Let's get a small army going if a horrid choice like this is made.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, Spring Training started almost exactly three months ago. What would you say if I told you then, that these things were going to happen in three months:
  • The Phillies were able to win 5 straight games but still be without a sweep
  • Jimmy Rollins leads team in homeruns and hit all 9 in April
  • Brett Myers is pitching in the bullpen
  • Pat Burrell started the season hot but still hit only one homer in April
  • Jon Lieber has an ERA below 3 as a starter
  • Freddy Garcia (the innings eater) has the least amount of innings pitched as a starter
  • Even though we knew Eaton wasn't going to be a stud, that he was going to be this bad
  • Ryan Howard is hitting .204 and is on the DL
  • Wes Helms has apparently lost the start starting job at 3B to Abraham Nunez
  • Abraham Nunez is batting around .300
  • Aaron Rowand has hit multiple times in the leadoff spot and is hitting around .350
  • Chris Wheeler and Sarge would be in all nine innings and would sound THIS bad
Admit it, you'd call me crazy. I don't blame you, I'd probably slap me too.

9 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I'll be so glad when tv is over (most of the season finales are this week), that way all my time and concentration can be devoted to the Phils. I too, am a 24 fan.

That win last night was awesome!

BloodStripes said...

Count me in on the charge if Gordon becomes closer. An emergency trip will have to be made. If he comes back with good stuff he and Myers will be a great combo.

Jacobin said...

What will this be, the Charge of the Miller Light Brigade? Though we might not have to worry about that for a while. Gordon was in Thomas Jefferson Hospital with a respiratory infection... that can't be good.

Anonymous said...

I am in on the charge of the light brigade, but something tells me that Myers will remains as the closer. Not even Uncle Charlie is that stupid.

Your list points out just how crazy this young season has been. I honestly thought the team would be a lot better than their record shows. Losing Howard has probably been the biggest blow thus far.

GM-Carson said...

Come back...I miss my buddy Skeeter!

BloodStripes said...

He must have new girlfriend or something. Whats her name Skeeter. Get out of bed ya party animal! Woo hooo!!!!

Jacobin said...

I'm missing Skeeter too... hopefully he's just on some big party vacation to celebrate his graduation!

GM-Carson said...

I miss Skeeter's humor on here and over at WSBGM's. Maybe he's working on his lefty-handed pitching...

Mike said...

He's probably in negotiations with the pirates we are hiring to kidnap Charlie Manuel.