Monday, January 22

The Final Post on Burrell

Well, it took a lot longer than we expected, but we did our best to debunk the Pat Burrell myth. That myth being this: Burrell hurts the Philadelphia Phillies. The six arguments we tried to expose (clutchness, strikeouts, salary, walks, defense, meaningless RBIs) were not easy, however, we did our best. We agree he can be frustrating at times but he should no way be hated the way that he currently is.

But now here is the better question: Our these reasons not the cause for this intense state of criticism? Is there another cause? Someone commented on a previous post that it was his "I don't give a shit" attitude and that he is universally disliked in the clubhouse. We also read that he does not hustle. I guess since Abreu is gone, fans need someone else to yell at for not 'hustling.' Look, I love hustle and I adore it when players go all out. It makes the team more likable and more fun to watch. I agree that no one wants to watch a player who doesn't care about the game and I don't want a player like that on my team. But is this the case with Burrell? Personally, I couldn't agree less. I can't measure this with a stat so I really don't have great basis for my opinion, but then again do any of these fans have a basis for their 'no-passion' argument? I will, however, bring up two examples of Burrell's 'passion' that stick out in my mind.

June 9, 2005. At home versus the Rangers. After Teixeira hits two homeruns, Padilla beams him. The next inning Abreu is nailed by Tejera of the Rangers...obviously intentionally. Burrell is next up and smacks a homerun (his second of the night). The Comcast camera's showed Burrell after the swing: He slams down his bat and screams "Take that mother fucker." Now of course I couldn't hear him say it, but anyone over 11 years old could have told you what he said.
Bottom line: he stuck up for his teammate.

August 19, 2006. At home versus the Nationals. Ramon Ortiz is getting shelled by the Phillies' offense and hits both Chase Utley and Aaron Rowand. Ortiz is ejected after the second hit and immediately Utley runs out of the dugout looking for trouble. Who is right behind him looking to back up his boys? Burrell. Both Chase and Pat are pissed and came running to Aaron's defense.
Bottom line: he stuck up for his teammate

Are these two great examples showing the character and attitude of Burrell? Not really, but they show that he does have passion. In our opinion, he has that fire that everyone in Philadelphia loves. Then again, having passion doesn't make you a great ballplayer. If Alex S. Gonzalez had all the passion in the world, would it even matter?

So in summary, all we can do from here on out is hope that Philadelphia will see that Burrell isn't the monster that journalists, radio hosts and women looking for a relationship make him out to be. I'll be at Citizens Bank Park April 2 and when 'Holy Diver' is blasting over the speakers, you will see me clapping. Not booing...but possibly fighting someone who is.


Also, here is three things I bet you didn't know about Burrell:
1) He loves America
2) He loves the classic game "Operation"
3) He loves freedom



One last time, we are not claiming that Pat Burrell is the best Phillie ever or that he is next Joe DiMaggio. Just simply stating that he is the most unjustly hated pro athlete in Philadelphia today. Thank you.

7 comments:

GM-Carson said...

Like the new blog format. Nice on the eyes.

Burrell is good. Screw people who think he's not. I'd rather have Burrell than many other no-talent ass-clowns roaming MLB.

Skeeter said...

yea I was bored yesterday and messed with this page all day.

And as always...I love the no-talent ass-clown comments. Office Space is a fantastic movie

Anonymous said...

I think he's great. I'm sick and tired of the haters who think that the team's success or failure rests on him. If I had to make a prediction for this year, I'd say that yes, like Rollins, I think we are the team to beat in the East. I think we'll see a cooled off Ryan Howard ... and a far more consistent Burrell, making for a very strong offense (to say nothing of the improvements we've made in the rotation). The people who hate Burrell are people with a typical (and annoying) Philadelphia attitude of negativity - they look for things to be down on. I'm sick of it.

Skeeter said...

brilliantly stated and I couldn't agree more

That 'attitude' can suck so much sometimes. Our offense can be very solid this year...WITH Burrell in it.

BloodStripes said...

Like the anecdotes. Burrell is good. The phans are gonna love him this year. He's gonna come good and kick some arse.

New format looks great.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I agree with all the points you've made in this series, but there a bunch of good ones. Gillick is right when he says players like Pat don't just grow on trees.

Skeeter said...

Thanks and I agree with Gillick too.

We tried our best with the points and sometimes it was difficult to prove the critics wrong. It was a stretch at times. But for some reason I just can't bring myself to hate Burrell.