Tuesday, January 23

Bill Conlin vs Me (and you)

A few days ago I wrote about an article by Steve DiMeglio of the USA Today that showed how dumb sports writers can sound if they don't know what they are talking about. Well...

I just found this article today and was hoping someone could tell me what the hell Bill Conlin is trying to prove. From what I read, he seems mad at Burrell because he isn't as good as Hall of Famer Joltin Joe DiMaggio. What is he trying to say? That Pat Burrell isn't one of the top 5 players OF ALL TIME?! This isn't journalism. This is the most blatant form of propaganda. Conlin (for whatever reason) has a vendetta against Burrell. He is trying to make him look even worse than the media already portrays...by using the argument that DiMaggio didn't strike out as much! This isn't a breaking story, this isn't an interesting read, this isn't something someone should be paid to do! It is merely an old man's refusal to grow out of the past, all while attempting to bury a current baseball player. I am in awe that this got printed.

People in the media claim that blogs are just places for uninformed, unreliable people with no life to share their unwanted thoughts to the world. Read We Should be GMs, Beerleaguer, Balls Sticks & Stuff, The Good Phight, Phillies Baseball, Stain Club, Philadelphia Phanatics, The 700 Level, Phillies Nation, Swing and a Miss, Phillies Flow, A Citizen's Blog, Philly and Beyond and then read half the dribble printed in a paper. Now compare the two. See how it adds up.



P.S. I didn't mean to stay on the Burrell topic but I felt like this needed to be addressed. Here is another Conlin article from a few months back where he attacks blogs and cyberfans for not being intelligent. I never claim to be smart, but at least I'm not a douchebag.

LATER

8 comments:

GM-Carson said...

although we as a blogging community don't have all the "inside info", we are intelligent. some of us stick to stats, others go with opinions, and some dabble in humor and a mix of stats/opinion. it all makes for a well-rounded view point of the phils fanbase...screw bill conlin!

Pete said...

It's ashame, I used to like Conlin, too. Now he's just another media tool. No wonder most players hate talking to the media so much. And yea, Carson, I agree. I started a philly sports blog because I got sick of the uniformed and lack of coverage on philly.com, and especially some of the comments by even more uninformed readers. But I guarentee, from what I've seen on some great blogs, we could certainly do a better job covering the Phils than the media (with inside access), and probably a better job in the front office, too. Though, kudos for bring back Arbuckle...huge in my opinion.

BloodStripes said...

Let me quote some lyrics from an Angry Samoans song.

Conlin "sleeps with midgets and sucks arseholes. Licks his sisters pussy, bumfucks his dog, drinks toilet water, eats dog shit and is an arsehole queer!"

BloodStripes said...

Something like that anyway.

Fat bastard!

Skeeter said...

HA!!

Is that some crazy Aussie music?

BloodStripes said...

Actually The Angry Samoans are an American band. 90's punkers. Classic good fun music.

Anonymous said...

Bill Conlin really is just a sad, fat, stupid, old man. Mikey, you and I both worked (however briefly) in the sports journalism business and we both know it's all sensationalist crap. No one states facts anymore, they just try to say the most outrageous thing to get people to tune in, read, or argue with them...especially in Philadelphia. At least guys like Bill Simmons, John Buccigross, and Rob Neyer succeed when they try to be smary and entertaining. I'm not the biggest Burrell fan in the world, but I HATE it when writers attack player with no real recourse just because it's popular.



That said, Barry Bonds is a fucktard.

-Muller

Anonymous said...

I still don't know how to post.