Friday, April 27

You can't win them all...

...actually, yes you can win them all. But it's just too hard to accomplish. I didn't see yesterday's loss, however, I wasn't shocked by it. Things were going too well for Philadelphia. On the heels of 5 straight wins where the Phillies put up huge offensive numbers, you would think a victory is in the bag when Cole Hamels, fresh off a 15 strikeout performance, is on the mound. Well, unfortunately we all need to be reminded sometimes that we live in Philadelphia and that our favorite team is the Phillies. Need I remind everyone of the number 10,000?

At this point, I am not depressed nor am I thrilled with the Phillies. I'm still very patiently waiting to see the true colors of this team. We've seen them hold the title of "worst in baseball". Then, we've seen the offense explode into a hitting frenzy. WHO ARE THE PHILLIES?! It seems to me that this question cannot ever be answered about this team. Like I mentioned in a post last month, they are consistently inconsistent...from game to game, series to series, month to month, year to year. To deal with these guys over the course of 162 games is our cross to bear.

I will put one thing into perspective, however. On April 18th, when the Phillies were a paltry 3-10, if you were to tell me that this team would have 9 wins by the month's end, I'd be thrilled. So here we are, with four games left in April sitting on 9 wins and 12 losses. We still have the chance to finish OVER .500, if not just a few games under.

Bottom Line: Many fans, including myself, were very worried that the Phillies were going to dig a hole so big in April, that the season was going to be a waste to watch. Of a burial plot that goes 6 feet under ground, the Phillies are only about 2 feet deep. Let's hope they bring their shovels to dig themselves out and their brooms to sweep the Fish.

The Official Phillies Shovel

4 comments:

BloodStripes said...

Bring some beer batter and oil too. Deep fry some fish.

GM-Carson said...

The sad, sad truth is we will be the 1st sports franchise to "accomplish" 10,000 defeats. And somehow I find comfort in that...what the hell is wrong with me?

Jacobin said...

Look on the bright side, since there are four games left in April there is no way the team will come out of this month with the same record (10-14) as they did the last two years. Of course this is because they will be playing 25 games this month, not 24... we could finish the month anywhere between 9-16 and 13-12.

Skeeter said...

I'll take: 13-12, 12-13, 11-14

Anything less will be depressing. They got to win at least 2 of these next 4.