Monday, April 30

Miguel Cabrera still looks like the Ultimate Warrior

Pat Gillick isn't that bad of a GM. Sure, he gave 2 years to Nunez and 3 to Eaton. Sure, he signed Franklin and gave Abreu away for a bag of leftover Yankee scraps. And yes, he is the man that will ultimately be held responsible when Chris Coste kills himself. Our GM did, however, bring us what could be the most valuable pitching component any team can have: Jamie Moyer.

This St. Joes Hawk has been the most pleasant surprise the 2007 Phillies could ask for. Sure, he is 3-1 and is pitching to the tune of a 2.65 ERA. But more than what he gives to the Phillies every 5th day, he is giving to the Phillies for the next 5-10 years. For Cole Hamels to be able to watch the way Moyer pitches is possibly the best thing that will come from 2007 (besides a World Series, of course). Take away Manuel's incompetence as a human being, I almost felt like he had no right to take Moyer out of the game in the 8th inning yesterday. I am not disagreeing with the move or saying Moyer should have been left in. I just feel that Moyer is almost more like a coach than he is a player. I mean seriously, when Dubee takes a visit to the mound, what can he honestly tell him that Jamie doesn't already know? Does anyone think that Dick Dubee is smarter than Moyer?

After two straight games where a potent Marlins offense has collected a hit in every inning, Jamie Moyer was able to shut them down over 7.1 innings for ONLY 2 hits, which was how many hits Moyer collected himself. I don't even know what more to say about Moyer and what he means to this team. So I'll stop talking about him with this: Along with saying a little pray for Chris Coste every night before I sleep, I will now say a little pray that Jamie Moyer will one day become the pitching coach for the Philadelphia Phillies. I cannot think of a better scenario.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have to bring up Cabrera's eye black again. I mentioned this the last time the Phillies played the Marlins in a day game. But why does he smother this shit all over his face? Again, I need to draw the comparison to the Ultimate Warrior:



...or maybe I'm the only one who thinks about 1980's wrestling heroes when I see baseball players.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight, the Phillies face a daunting task: Tim Hudson. And while he has been doing wonders for my WSBGMs Fantasy League, I hope he suffers like a Sopranos fan has suffered during this shitty final season. Can Jon Lieber continue this string of strong starts? Bob Wickman has looked very rough his past couple of outings, blowing a save in Colorado yesterday. Might the Phillies be one closer to .500 after today?

Either way, the Phillies have done something that they could not do the previous two years under Manuel: win more than 10 games in April. Now if we can just avoid that June Swoon...

9 comments:

GM-Carson said...

I know this sounds petty, but I think MLB should step in and say something to Miguel Cabrera about wearing excessive eye black...it's not called cheek makeup dumbass!

Moyer is awesome...I love watching him pitch.

Hopefully Atlanta is feeling jet lagged after flying cross country and playing an extra-inning game yesterday in Colorado.

BloodStripes said...

Moyer is rock solid. The ultimate mentor for Hamels.

I like the Phils on the road. Good travellers. Look out Hudson.

Jacobin said...

Yes, they've bested their 10 win totals of the last two Aprils... but a loss tonight means they've matched the 14 loss totals of the last two Aprils.

We need to win. Mini-swoons will be easier to suffer once they've gotten rid of that 4.5-game gap between them at the top of the division!

Skeeter said...

A mini-swoon is depressing but not life threatening like last years June was. With Hamels AND Moyer in our rotation, however, I don't forsee many 4-5 game losing streaks this year.

Anonymous said...

A win tonight would be very nice indeed. The Phils have had some success with Hudson since he moved back home to Georgia.

What really baffles me about Cabrera and his face paint is that he is from Venezuela and plays in Miami. Its not like he hasn't been exposed to massive amounts of sun all his life. Now if he came from Nome, Alaska I could understand. Maybe he secretly hates the way he looks and is trying to cosmetically disfigure himself.

Skeeter said...

Self-hatred could be a huge factor. I just think he longs for the days of the Ultimate Warrior, Rowdy Rowdy Piper, Andre the Giant and Hulkamania.

I mean, can anyone blame him?

Jacobin said...

I pity the fool.

Jacobin said...

Another 14-loss April... *sob*

Anonymous said...

hi there dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking for that singular model. The prices seeking the sneakers are about 320 dollars everwhere. But completely I base this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably buy them. what can you say about it?