Friday, November 10

Enter Here

Since I am very much a virgin in the world of blogging and since I am just making my entrance into posting about my team, I thought it fitting to talk about plate music.

"Leading off...for the Philadelphia Phillies...shortstop...JIMMY ROLLINS"

You have all heard that a buttload of times and in the background is always some rap song that I most likely do not know. But how about those badass songs that some of our Players trot out to everynight. Heres my list of plate rock.

1. Dio - "Holy Diver"
How, and I mean this with all my heart, can anyone NOT love this song. Possibly the coolest song to come out of 1983, even south park (which by the way is the most brilliant show on television) featured this band/song in an episode. And no matter how much the city of Philadelphia loves to unfortunately hate on Pat, you can never hate this tune. Even if you dread seeing him walk to the plate just to see him walk back 55 seconds later, you have to be insane not to headbang to this metal treasure. And yes, I am one of the only remaining Burrell fans in the city (more on why later this week). But that is not the reason this piece of art is on top of my list. You want to know what is?
.....Ronnie James Dio





Coolest Dude Ever
---------->













2. Bob Marley - "Buffalo Soldier"
Hawaii...Jamaica...both are tropical islands, both are heralded as great vacation spots, and apperently thats all the connection Shaney Vic needs. My personal theory behind entrance music was that it was meant to pump a player up in hopes to help him smash the cover off the ball. This song, however, inspires me to light up a joint and lie on a beach drinking a pink icee alcoholic type beverage with a tiny umbrella in it. Regardless, this song belongs on this list simply because the first time I saw Shane come to plate and heard this song, I almost wet my pants. And it is possibly still the reason I want Victorino covering center (and most of left if Burrell is still here) field next year.

3. Biggie and Bone Thugs - "Spit Yo Game"
Rhyno has switched entrance songs a few times, and while this was not the one he ended the year with, it is by far the most superior. For one, I do not know THAT much rap. Being a white, Catholic school boy growing up in the mean hood of Voorhees will do that to you. Sure we pretended we were 'supa-fly' by dancing to ja rule and nelly at the akward dances that were held each year. And of course Eminem was a huge hit...I mean, my old high school (Bishop Eustace by the way) could obviously relate to him...growing up in a tough neighborhood, being the only white boy at rap battles, having a mom who sued us for 10 million dollars, and having fantasies of killing our girlfriends was just the way it was at 'the prep'. But one thing I DO know is that Bone Thugs and Harmony were the freakin shit. I owned every cd they put out and loved every song on them. So when I noticed Howard picked a song by them (featuring Biggie no less) I pulled out my old BTNH albums and.... oh who am I kidding, I turned on my ipod and scrolled to the 'B' section and relived my high school days all over again.

Very honorable mentions:
-Chase Utley of 2005: Vengaboys - "We Like to Party"
-Tom Gordon: Queen - "Theme from Flash Gordon"
-Chris Coste: Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Love Rollercoaster"
And of course in the days of old...
-Mitch Williams: ...If you don't remember this one then I hate you

Dishonorable mentions:
-The players who piss me off and have no plate music like Bernie Williams, Hank Blalock, Garret Anderson, Jose Molina...and a I think Nomar.
-Half of the Mets roster, which is all that crappy mexican/latino/south of the border/samba/tequila/dance like a homo music....I only want to hear that in Cancun
-I do not remember David Bell's but I feel like I hated it
-Back to the Mets...I always recall hearing during a players at bat in Shea, that person saying "Everybody Clap Yo Hands". Then the whole stadium of mutts fans clap...like they just realized putting your hands together makes a miraculous sound.


"Boy do I suck when my team needs me"









By the way, my plate music would be "The Final Countdown" by Europe. If you don't know this song I would guess you're a fan of either the Yankees, Braves or Mets. And that you don't know what cool is.

2 comments:

BloodStripes said...

Cool blog Skeeter. I think I would like to walk to the plate with the Minutemen playing "This Ain't No Picnic".

GM-Carson said...

my entrane music would be "the safety dance"...or "sabotage".

by the way david wright of the mets enters to "brass monkey by the beasties.

i'm loving this blog, we can build a sweet community between all our comedy and love of the phils.

~carson